Thursday, April 17, 2008

We've gone soft

The night before last must have been a dream, that's all I can say. Bright's godparents came for dinner and he was up a bit later than usual. He slept 11 hours straight- not a single wake up, not a peep. That would usually make most parents thrilled and don't get me wrong- I was overjoyed at actually waking up before he did for once. But deep down I knew what would follow- the dreaded messed up nap schedule due to oversleeping. His first nap was a struggle at 10:30- a hour later than normal. And of course we had things to do yesterday so there wasn't a lot of time for funny business in the nap department. (sounds terrible huh?) We had our play date at the store then went to the play park where Bright played with tiny stones and didn't eat a single one- then to celebrate his greatness I took him for an ice cream cone (or maybe to just plain eat a tasty treat and hey, it's on the way home). Well, we got home just in time for his nap, or so I thought. I tried the usual routine- nurse, walk around, sing. Nothing. Then stroll out by the lake. Nothing. More walking, singing, back now aching and Bright was just happy as a clam, blowing raspberries, trying to jam his hand down my shirt (new trick- not a fave), and trying to pick my nose. None of tricks worked and I was pooped. So, I put him in the crib to see if he would just do it on his own. Major mistake. Major meltdown and tantrum. I took him out and he clung to me like I was gonna abandon him. Cried and Cried. Ugh. I tried to use the bathroom and he wailed while I was two feet away from him, totally visible through the gates. Ugh again. This continued for 2 HOURS until daddy came home. Still no nappy, not really looking sleepy either. He went to bed okay last night- fell asleep nursing, a rarity. He must have been wiped out. Then woke up at 2 and was up for two hours. He had a tantrum with Andy when he saw me get up and fix something in his room. He didn't want daddy, just momma. Sometimes momma needs a break. No breaks to be had though- so into the bed with us where he squirmed and hogged up my side. No co-sleeper means now there is no space for me to sort of spill over into when he takes my side up. Finally asleep at 4 am until 7am and now down for his nap at 9:45am. Thank goodness! Who would have thought that such a young thing could have a tantrum like that and while yes, we did buy into the Attachment Parenting philosophy, it would be nice to pee in private just once.....

No comments: