Thursday, April 10, 2008

Okay- Everyone out of the Pool...

Ahhh, yes. Tonight was supposed to be Baby Swim night, and indeed it was Baby Swim night for about 5 minutes. Then the lifeguards told us we all had to exit the pool. Hmmm... why? Apparently one very sweet, very enthusiastic toddler had, in her excitement to swim, swallowed a lot of pool water and threw up in the pool. Ick. But- with my new found attitude of keeping things perspective, not as gross as Tuesday night's class which was also called on account of foreign matter in the pool. That time apparently it was poop. Thankfully we only go on Thursdays.

I am not all that down that swimming was nixed tonight. Bright had a rough one last night thatwe can only blame on gas. He had been fed a bunch of green beans and black beans and who knows what other gaseous stuff by his dear papa while I was out doing an errand yesterday afternoon. Then when we put him down, after he had already had a lousy afternoon nap, he woke up three or four times in the first three hours of sleep. Each time we got him and picked him up, he let out a terrific toot. Our little man was a big bean blaster all night long. We gave him some gas drops which we had not used since we moved in July and Bright snugged up next to me and fell asleep- but only until 5 am. So we zombied around much of the day and now that he is asleep I can finally get some rest myself.

I say we had a rough day but he did take a nap at 8:10 this morning and then again at 1pm, so things weren't too bad. We actually had a lot of fun. yesterday when Bright had his usual playdate with Madelyn, Madelyn's mom and I got to talking about what we should be doing with these guys now that they aren't babies any more. Neither one of us had a clue really. She was going to buy a daycare curriculum and make the materials out of it and try teaching Madelyn bits from it every day. Sounds ambitious and probably not my style. I have a more Montessori-esque approach to life in general so I think I will probably see what he's interested in and build from that. For example..

Today we did some arts and crafts. Bright got some of those Crayola toddler markers for his birthday. They are really for kids 18 months and up, but how do you know how your kids will do with something unless you give it a try. He had fun, we got moderately messy and most of it washed off.... Note to those out there that want to try these- only get them out and use them if you are very, and I mean very prepared to deal with the ensuing meltdown when you put them away. I was not. So ...Then we did regular crayons as a distraction/redirection activity, not the big fatty crayons, just regular ones. He loved the box of 64 and wanted them all. Note to others- give 3-4 crayons at a time so you can make sure he does not try to eat them, hide them for later use, or run wildly around the house dragging them on the walls. No- he did not do any of those but all of those scenarios ran through my head as we were playing. Also, have another redirection activity when that one is done. We went on to playing with shaving cream.... one word. Messy! But fun. He loved it and smelled like his daddy for the rest of the afternoon. So did I- as we were getting toward the end of our fun together, Bright with Shaving cream up to his armpits decided to throw himself into my arms for a hug. A nice foamy hug. I'll take one any day.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Yeah, yeah it was my fault...