Sunday, May 11, 2008

Updates

I took Bright in to the doctor, well actually the nurse practitioner, on Friday to make sure that Bright didn't have an ear infection that might be causing his crankiness. All clear in that area. I don't think that he took a nap that afternoon- hard to remember now.. No, wait. He didn't. I was pretty spent by 3:00 that afternoon and he was really frustrated so I packed him up and took him to the play park where he happily played in the ground up tires under all of the pieces of equipment there for about 45 minutes. He totally did not want to leave and I ended up having to carry him in the Superman formation for a good long way back to the car, all the while going "Da Da Da SUPERMAN!! just to keep him from wailing like a banshee because he didn't want to go. Andy came home at 4pm and I handed him off and went to our room for about an hour. I can't remember how well he slept that night. Saturday we were supposed to go to a picnic about 45 minutes from here for our friend's graduation celebration. I was going to stay home with Bright instead, thinking for sure he would lose his marbles there after the week we had had and I sure did not want to be driving in the car with him for that long while the meltdown was happening. But at the last minute we all went- his napswent soooo easy and he was in great spirits. There were kids there for him to play with and he got over his shyness about five minutes after being there. we stayed for over three hours and he fell asleep in the back of the car holding hands with Andy. This is the second time that has happened and it is just about the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Well, then that night the college which is in spitting distance of here had fireworks for Spring Weekend and since we are so close you geta great view if them but you also feel like you are in a bunker with some explosions going on around you. Some of them rattle the windows. Bright slept right through it. Hallelujiah!
So, perhaps things are looking up. Today's naps went great. All of them of course happen by walking him around until he crashes out and then sticking him in the crib, but I am just happy he slept! Thanks for all of the support well wishes!

The following comes from an email my friends Karen sent to me. Personally I like the last one the best. I can see Bright saying that some day.

Simply having children does not make mothers.
- Author Unknown

The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
- H.W. Beecher


All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
- Abraham Lincoln

The Mother-child relationship is paradoxical and, in a sense, tragic. It requires the most intense love on the mother's side, yet this very love must help the child grow away from the mother and to become fully independent.
- Erich Fromm

They joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed.
- Author Unknown


A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher

Children and mothers never truly part -
Bound in the beating of each other's heart.
- Charlotte Gray


A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.
- Tenneva Jordan


There was never a great man who had not a great mother.
- Olive Schreiner


The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.
- Honoré de Balzac


My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw.
All I am I owe to my mother.
I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.
- George Washington


The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.
- Author Unknown


The best thing you can give children, next to good habits, are good memories.
- Sydney J Harris


The more people have studied different methods of bringing up children the more they have come to the conclusion that what good mother and fathers instinctively feel like doing for their babies is the best after all.
- Benjamin Spock


Who, being loved, is poor?
- Oscar Wilde


Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shovelling the walk before it stops snowing.
- Phyllis Diller


My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.
- Mark Twain

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot stop thinking of Erich Fromm's post since I read it yesterday....bittersweet for sure. And I've realized that Justin will probably never love me with the ferocity in which I love him, but one day he will feel that same powerful love for his own child. And the cycle will continue... Thanks for sharing these quotes.....perfect for Mother's Day! :)