Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Christmas Wishlist


This is a pretty common scene at our place-Bright is a champ at going through laundry piles. If I ever need 20 minutes of free time, I just get out the sock and underwear drawer and put it out in the living room. He will pick up each item, hold it up and then put it "carefully" into a pile next to the drawer. In the background you may be able to see the pile of pillows and cushions in front of the entertainment center. Every day it is a challenge to keep him away from the stereo, dvd player, cable box, etc. He is either lunging head first into the pile of pillows set up to keep his fingers out, or he is picking them up and moving them away on his own. We have found a more secure cabinet that we will be purchasing this weekend. I think both Andy and I are tired of pulling him away from there.

Getting back to my Christmas Wishlist- last night during the internet searching I do when Bright goes to bed, between reading up on the battle between Lauren and Heidi on The Hills, and checking out various food blogs, I actually tried to read some news. Last night's topic was how 25% of children in Somolia never make it to age 5. This just hit me in a really profound way last night- maybe I was emotional because of my cold, or maybe it is me being a mom for the first time, but the thought of so many children never making it because of war, famine, or natural disaster just is so sad. I know my baby has everything he needs to thrive physically, socially and spiritually but so many others do not. This year at Christmas time, when we are all trying to figure out what toys to get for babies and ourselves, which Tickle Me Elmo won't make us crazy, or how to make this First Christmas memorable, maybe we can think about the other children out there and make a donation to the Red Cross or UNICEF in support of their efforts to help these children.

No comments: