Friday, October 31, 2008

It's the thought that counts right?!

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! And Happy Birthday Andy. He's 28 today! Yahoo. Makes me feel younger! Anyway, we are having dinner guests tonight and I thought I would make him a cake I have never made before- Boston Creme Pie- since he likes the donuts so much. Seemed easy enough as I skimmed through the recipe... skimmed, I remind you. Holy smokes! Like 40 ingredients, 5 hours and a whole slew of swears I now have a lop-sided semi-oozing cake cooling in the fridge that may or may not taste better than it looks. Totally reminded me of the book "Julie and Julia" where a disgruntled government worker decides to "add meaning to her life" by going through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" book in one year, and nearly loses her mind while doing so... I can assure you that no extra meaning was added to my life while I was struggling to make the homemade custard filling while 19 month old Bright tugged at my legs and demanded to help, or be picked up, or get into mischief in another room, all while I was praying that my egg yolks would not scramble while adding hot milk to them. Another shining moment was folding the egg whites into the batter and then folding the flour into it as well. Folding is such a joke. Can anyone actually ever get the flour to not lump up while doing this, or actually mix in correctly? Not me. I have always loved baking breads and cookies. I think I now know that cakes are not my bag!
Here are some pictures from 2 days ago when I was making pizza crust. Bright really wanted to help so I gave him some really old TVP to scoop and measure and pour. He was in heaven! What a powdery mess though!

No comments: