Monday, July 7, 2008

Run Ragged

Phew- the last few dyas we have been going non-stop- well not that bad when you compare it to some other families, but we like to live a slower paced life -so for us we have been on overdrive. Bright slept through the fireworks on the 4th, thankfully. I checked out the nonstop action on the lake around 10pm and the craziness went on until well past midnight. Seemed like everyone had a small arsenal of their own, much like when we were in Oregon. Then Saturday we had some errands to run and then we went to Dave and Gale's cottage on Seneca Lake where Bright finally tried out his life jacket without pitching a fit. The lake was actually warm which I don't think I have ever said before. Bright and Andy and I went in for a dip, then Matt came in too, followed by his seeing eye dog, Margo later on in the night. There was a good crowd there and we had a great time. We have been getting Bright to sleep in his crib without putting him down already zonked out these past few days. Some days he flops around like a fish for close to 40 minutes and gets up and wants to be taken out but we leave him in there- not crying, thankfully- and eventually he falls asleep. Sunday Mom and Dad brought their canoe down to let us borrow for the summer and we took it out for a short time to see if we still knew how to use it. It took a few minutes to get my sea legs and bearings but then we got in the groove of it. I have always had a really tough time with heights- some might recall the various meltdowns I have had at such places as Mnt. Penobscot in Maine, the Grand Canyon, the bridge from Canada to Sarnia, Michigan, the bridges to NYC, the list goes on and on- heights make my knees all rubbery and I start to laugh in an unnerving way. Especially when I am driving... Making trips around Portland a hoot with all of the bridges there. Anyways- being in a boat does that to me for about 5 minutes and then I am okay again. So we should be okay with the canoe. We have taken Bright out to swim in the lake several times now with his life jacket and he is still agreeable to wear it. I need to get some pictures of that.

The nights here have been HOT and MUGGY. Miserable for sleeping unless you are an almost 16 month old baby who slept 11.5 hours last night while I got maybe 5 hours of poor quality zzz's. Here's to hoping that tonight is cooler, or that I am smarter and go sleep in the living room by the AC.

No comments: