Wednesday, June 18, 2008

You want me to do what?!

Today Andy asked me if I had listened to the phone message from the library regarding the lapsit program I was asked to do this summer. Well, no. I hadn't. I saw that the library had called and just assumed that they were calling to let me know some book or movie I had placed a hold on had arrived. In actuality they wanted me to come in and tell them what I was planning on doing for the program and introduce myself to the parents. Easy enough. When I got there I asked a few more questions about the program. How long would it be each time, age range, etc. The idea is that it will be about an hour (not the half hour I was assuming) and for ages 0-4 (not the babies program I had thought) Okay... Now I really need to get planning. Wow- that is a long time to entertain a bunch of kids of really different ages. Luckily, right after we moved I started griping about how the town library (not the one where I will be doing the lapsit program) had the weakest children's section I had ever seen. I finally decided to call the Eugene Library back in Oregon and ask if they would send me some of their Story Time songs or story lists so I could interlibrary loan the books that I could never get here. Sure enough they did. Boy are they nice folks out there! So, I am going to use some of the songs from their lists, do some fingerplays, and read Bear Snores On. Check it out at www.bearsnoreson.com
I have some pictures of the animals in the story to use as props so that will be nice. Then I think I will teach the kids some signs and then read them Who says Moo? I think it will be a real crap shoot that first time to see who shows up and what level they are for attention, behavior, etc. I actually sat down and did a lesson plan of sorts to get ready for this. No one likes to bomb in front of a crowd of kids and their parents! I figure a little preparation each day and I will pull it off okay.

Today was another busy day. Andy was teaching at 7:30. Bright took a great nap. On the way towards falling asleep in my arms (as usual) he was closing his eyes really tight to fall asleep, and then started smiling and silently laughing out of nowhere. Very cute. I had to make myself not look at him because it was starting to make me laugh too. Actually had to wake him up after two hours to get some lunch-which he was to sleepy to eat, and get ready for his play date with Madelyn. They had a great time chasing each other and really got into it when all the grownups were laughing about it. There is nothing funnier than a toddler running! Then off to the library and back home to find the refrigerator repairman there to fix our fridge that died yesterday after only a month of service. Then dinner and bathtime. I made the colossal mistake of using Head and Shoulders shampoo on Bright to help with his cradle cap- suggested to us by our old doc in OR. That was fine until we rinsed it out and the tiniest of drops got in his eyes and stung like crazy. Poor guy! He cried and cried, and we panicked and tried rinsing it out (Not a fun thing for any of us). Then to calm him down we took him outside for trike time and garden inspection. Phew! I was pooped. Thankfully he went to bed just fine. Andy is playing his new Metal Gear game which has amazing graphics, better than the Grand Theft Auto one in my opinion. Off to bed. Top Chef Reunion is coming on.

No comments: